Going through menopause brings a lot of change, not only for your body's menstrual cycle but also for your skin.
We’ve compiled a list of changes that typically begin to happen to your skin during and beyond menopause and ways you can help it.
When your body goes through menopause, it creates a decline in estrogen levels that can cause a number of changes to your skin. These changes can often include the following;
- Decreased collagen production
- Increased fine lines and wrinkles
- Thinner, looser skin
- Increased facial hair
Help your skin through the changes
Although it may not be possible to completely turn back the clock for your skin, there are many ways to adapt your skincare routine to benefit your changing skin.
Fine lines and wrinkles
Peptides, retinol, and sunscreen are the best to help fight and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Peptides are more gentle than retinol and generally better to be used by those with sensitive skin. Looking for ingredients to boost hydration and collagen production and cell turnover are also recommended. Our Anti-Aging Collection utilizes Buddleja Plant Stem Cells which provide immediate and high protection against photoaging and Vitamin A, C, & E to promote elasticity in the skin. Always be sure to apply SPF after using our Anti-Aging collection during the day (even on cloudy winter days!!) to protect skin from signs of aging.
As we age, our skin loses its moisture which can cause dryness and dullness to our faces. Products with ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerin, and ceramides will typically be best to boost and lock in your skin's moisture. Ceramides are lipids, which are fatty acids that are produced in the sebaceous glands. Ceramides, Hyaluronic Acid, and Glycerin help moisturize, strengthen the protective skin barrier, and protect the skin from external aggressors such as weather and pollution. Scentuals Anti-Aging Facial Cream contains both Glycerin and Sodium Hyaluronate (a smaller molecule derivative of Hyaluronic Acid) to deeply nourish and retain your skin's moisture.
Sadly, acne isn’t necessarily something we all leave behind in high school. Salicylic or Glycolic Acid is great to help regulate oil production on your skin. They are acid-based ingredients that can be harsher on your skin, so it’s recommended to build up your use by only using a small amount every other day to ensure your skin does not react to it. Pair it with our Anti-Aging Facial Cleanser which nourishes with Organic Argan, Organic Avocado, and Olive oils to avoid stripping skin when cleansing. Naturally nourish your skin while reducing acne with a non-comedogenic beauty oil like Rosehip, which defends against fine lines and wrinkles while reducing breakouts for an all-over moisturized glow.
Years of sun damage can build up and become more visible when hormones change during and after menopause. Vitamin C is an effective antioxidant to use to apply to your skin to fight the look of dark spots and skin discoloration. Scentuals Vitamin C Serum is 99.7% natural and formulated to be similar to the pH level of our skin, making it perfect for daily use (both morning and night). Even for those with sensitive skin! Ensure you follow your morning skincare routine with SPF 30+ to avoid any further sun damage and skin discoloration.
Develop a skincare routine
Even if you have never developed a skincare routine or felt you needed to provide special care to your skin, we recommend adapting your morning and evening routine to include specific steps and products to boost and support your skin health.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water and a mild cleanser with hyaluronic acid or glycerin like our Anti-Aging Facial Cleanser which also contains Aloe, Argan Oil and Camellia Oil which offer extra moisture and nourishment for your skin.
- Pat your face dry gently with a clean towel.
- Apply a few drops of Scentuals Vitamin C Serum to your face and gently pat all over with fingertips to absorb.
- Apply a pea-sized amount of a facial moisturizer containing ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and/or glycerin. Scentuals Anti-Aging Facial Cream is crafted using Buddleja Plant Stem Cells, Hyaluronic Acid, Organic Argan Oil, Rosehip Seed Oil, and Shea butter to nourish the skin and boost its moisture. Apply evenly gently massage gently into skin using upward, circular motions.
- Apply SPF to your face (recommended 50+) in the morning before heading outdoors
- In the evening, you can add Anti-Aging Eye Cream to target puffiness and dryness as you sleep as well as a desired oil blend such as Rosehip Oil to target fine lines, wrinkles, and acne as well.